top of page

Nimrod Jackson

 b. circa 1845 – April 5, 1910

            Nimrod was born into slavery, by 1890 as a free man he worked for the Southwestern Railroad at the Byron’s flag stop, supplying the wood rack and helping load wood on the trains. Nimrod and his wife and children came to Georgia in the late 1800’s by way of railroad – looking for a better life. They settled in Byron, GA.

            When he was in his mid-60’s he was digging and repairing wells. On April 5, 1910, Nimrod was working in a well on the farm of John G. Avera (today known as the Hancock Farm). He was lowered approximately 65 feet into the well, while working on the boards and braces, fresh dirt starting breaking loose and squeezing the curbing which caused Nimrod’s feet to become trapped. Hours were spent trying to free his feet and the more they tried the more dirt fell around him covering up to his shoulders on several occasions while the owners of the home and bystanders constantly tried to dig him out.  

            By the 2nd day Nimrod remained in good spirits but as time worn on, so did he.  By day 6, it is said that at least 4,000 people had visited the site by car, feet, and wagon – so many spectators that the area had to be roped off to stop interference with the rescue. The men decided to dig across to the old well in hopes of getting Nimrod out, but unexpectedly fresh sand began cascading around him and the dirt wall above him completely collapsed and eight feet of sand piled on top of him. All hope was lost, and Nimrod was buried alive. 

         The Judge at the time, W. H. Felton decided the risk would be too great to attempt to recover his body, so he ordered that the well be filled, and that Nimrod remain buried there. It has been  110 years since Nimrod’s fate.  In 2004, a campaign kicked off to raise funds for a memorial for Nimrod. On June 4, 2005 a formal funeral service was held for Nimrod Jackson and his descendants. 

          Mr. Jackson’s final resting place is located off Moseley Road (Old Macon Road) turn onto Mathews Road, when it dead ends turn left onto E. Wesley Chapel Road and go approximately two-tenths of a mile, enter at the gate on the east side of the road and his grave is surrounded by a metal fence about 100 yards from the road and behind a pecan grove.

bottom of page