King's Chapel’s history began around February 1851 when John Rudolph King, a cotton planter and Methodist, along with his 300+ slaves, moved here from the Sumter District of South Carolina to about 1,700 acres of land that the slaves farmed.
On that farm the slaves worshipped in a bush harbor under the pastoring of Mr. Jim Wiggins, a King slave. In 1856, the slaves built a structure next to the bush harbor where they worshiped. This church was built of pine by skilled artisans among the slaves. Each board was hand-fitted and pegged into place. Not a single nail was used in the original construction.
In 1865, after Emancipation, the slaveowner King, deeded the church and cemetery land to a church board of trustees. The deed contained a stipulation that if the land should be used for anything other than a church, the land would revert back to the heirs of the King family. The oldest legible grave was the resting spot of Mr. Charles Ross, Sr. Born 1852 died 1928.
The founding trustees of King's Chapel were Gabriel Green and his wife, Violet Davis Green, Ben and Emma Marion, John and Rebecca Bannister and William Turner ( all ex-slaves of the King Plantation). The first minister to the congregation was Rev. Jim A . Wiggins, Sr., among the local and connectional ministers were John Bannister, Ben Marion, Charlie Bannister Sr., and Virgil Colson.
During Reconstruction, the church also served as a school to educate their children. Classes were held during the evenings. The church served as the public school in the community until 1922. At that time a Rosenwald school was built.
Sometime in 1877 another church was built to replace the hand-hewed lumber and pegged church.